Monday, November 5, 2007

State of the Heisman

When Geno Hayes ran into Alumni Stadium's North Endzone on Saturday night to make the score 26-17 in favor of Florida State, a few things ended. 1) Boston College's undefeated season 2) the nation's second longest home winning streak and 3) the nervous bickering about BC being done by fans from Baton Rouge to Eugene to Norman. BC no longer controls its own destiny. However, the current favorite in the ACC was not, as many people will claim in the week ahead, completely eliminated from the NC picture and Ryan For Heisman did not die with an errant pass ripped from the hands of Ryan Purvis. Boston College will need plenty of help to get to New Orleans, probably too much. The Eagles still control their fate when it comes to a BCS berth and the Orange Bowl. They have 4 games left if you include a potential ACC Championship Game in Jacksonville. As for the Heisman, Dennis Dixon is now your clear-cut leader and he deserves to be. But if we have learned anything from this year, it's that things can change at the drop of a helmet. Matt Ryan has 3(or 4) games to show Heisman voters why he deserves to take home the hardware. In the days ahead, we will go in depth on the issue and offer more analysis than ever. In the meantime, ignore all of the talking heads who want to deal in extremes. Just as Matt Ryan did not suddenly become great a week and a half ago in Blacksburg, he did not forget how to play quarterback Saturday in Chestnut Hill. Just look at the picture above and know that the Ryan For Heisman movement is refocused and that it is alive and well.

2 Comments:

John Ryan John Ryan said...

I don't expect anyone of note wanting to jump on the bandwagon this week (and I figure most opting to jump off). But if it means anything, I would like to officially make my way on board.

This loss was heartbreaking at the time. I was devastated. Then a few days passed. I started to regain my senses. I realized there are only 3 undefeated teams left and only 9 teams with one loss. With the way this season has gone, I can't help but expect some of these teams to falter (especially with 3 of them from the Big 12 and 2 from the WAC).

BC is still ranked 8th in the nation. There has never been a time in my life when I have seen BC lose a game and end up ranked 8th. I would have wet my pants if this had ever happened in past years.

I refuse to believe that "only" being ranked 8th is a bad thing.

With that said, there is no way BC would be as highly ranked as it is if not for Matt Ryan. Sure, some pundits might claim he is out of the race, but I still see a QB that has only lost 5 games in his college career.

I don't expect him to just stop playing.

I don't expect him to just give up.

I don't expect this team to just give up.

Not this year.

Not with this quarterback.

I want on the bandwagon.

- BC '05

jupiter said...

Give it up, guys. A sub 60% completion rate and 21 TD's against 11 interceptions just isn't "Heisman quality." What's worse, Ryan threw 5 ints vs. 4 TD's, an completed less than 50% of his passes in the last 2 games--the only decent competition BC has faced all season.

No. 8 rating. Tell me this, how did BC, which made it into the top 5 before the VT game, get ranked that high despite not having played, let alone beaten, a single team ranked in the top 25?

blogger templates | Make Money Online